On June 4, Governor Northam, along with the Governors from Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island, signed a letter to the Biden Administration providing recommendations on the expansion of the offshore wind industry. Strageties discussed include:
- Set long term targets for Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) lease area scoping and establishment that are informed by state clean energy goals;
- Supplement interstate coordination during project design and permitting processes;
- Consider setting long-term targets for offshore wind ports that can support the scale and timeline of state procurement targets;
- Ensure adequate transmission capacity; and
- Provide support for other marine industries and users.
Read the full letter here.