Coal economics have passed the cost crossover point with renewables – 179 gigawatts (GW) of coal plants in the United States were more expensive to operate than replacing them with new local solar or wind energy in 2018. But even though opportunities abound for utilities to economically transition from existing coal to new renewables, annual coal plant retirement rates are closer to 10 GW.
· Recent Posts
- America’s Bet on Wind Power Is Running Into a Big Problem
- Survey shows that voters want affordable energy, not California climate politics
- Wind Power Companies Struggle Amid Rapid Industry Growth
- From GE to Siemens, the wind energy industry hopes billions in losses are about to end
- Solar Panels at Fort Bragg ‘Probably Made in China,’ Army Secretary Says